Tags

, , ,

I finally decided to line the jumps with blue kona cotton. I know most 18th century garments did not use cotton, but I had it in my stash and it was just enough for this project with a bit left over for something else. So I went with it. I really like the way the stripes lined up – yay me for cutting them properly!! 

Image

 

The cut of the neckline on 18th century garments is very becoming; smooth, graceful, just lovely. 

 

 

Image

 

The sides are laying a little janky because pinning it together does not exactly give the smoothest side seams. I’m hoping the little wrinkly bits dissolve when I saw it together correctly. 

 

 

 

Image

 

I could have done a tad better matching up the stripe right down the back, but on the whole, I’m pleased with it. 

 

I started to quilt each piece. I’ve never quilted before, so I looked in Fitting and Proper and it said that on an extant garment, the rows of quilting were a quarter inch apart. I know 18th century women did not measure much, but I measured the spacing just to get a feel for it so I can eyeball it as I continue to go. However, I don’t think my actual stitches are close enough together. I’m wondering if I should rip it out and try again? I’m willing to keep trying until I’m satisfied, but I have four panels to quilt! 

I really like the overall silhouette of the garment and once I’m finished with this project, I plan to make the jacket. I have beautiful fabric for it that I purchased a few years ago and I can’t wait to use it!!

 

 

On another note, here are some fall time pics of the yard. Spring is gorgeous and I love watching the different flowers bloom all summer, but fall is extremely colorful this year, more so than last. 

Image

 

Image

 

As I’ve been driving to and from work watching the trees change, I decided I’d really like a red maple tree in the yard. I think it would be a nice addition and add some good color. I still really want a forsythia bush simply for its bright yellow leaves in the early spring. 

Advertisements